Calling all 3rd grade super spellers!
Laurel School will once again be participating in the Scripps National Spelling Bee this year!
All 3rd graders will be given the opportunity to participate in this completely optional event.
- The first round will take place in each classroom in January (Date and time TBD by each teacher).
- Two finalists from each class will compete in the Laurel School final round on TBD in the Multi Purpose Room.
- The winner will receive a free one-year subscription to Britannica Online for Kids (a $69.95 value) from Encyclopedia Britannica, and also have the option of competing in the Bay Area written semi-final bee at the Lawrence Hall of Science on TBD (February).
- Top spellers from the semi-final will then compete in the local final on TBD (March) at Pier 39.
- The local final winner will then be invited to participate in the Scripps National Spelling Bee near Washington, D.C. in June 2015.
Just remember - there was an 8-year-old 3rd grader in the Scripps National Bee a couple of years ago - Vanya Shivashankar of Olathe, Kansas. This year, it may be a Laurel squirrel!
Click here for the 2014 Word List that will be used for the in class Laurel Bee
Click here for the 450 Word List for the later Bees (or if the Laurel Bee needs a tie breaker)
Click here to email Stacei Santana if you have a question that was not answered here email@example.com